Friday, July 13, 2012

About time I started to upload my pieces to my blog.  This was the last piece I did, and I will work backwards from here, this was the Mad Hatter for my thesis.  I really wanted to do something more unique with him than your traditional hatter, But he was the hardest character for me to design. I looked up the history behind the hatters, and found out more about the diseases and mental illnesses that affected the hatters from the mercury and lead poisoning.  So this character is out of his mind.  I envisioned the whole tea party crew were just figments of his imagination that sat upon the table as objects that he thought were characters.  I felt like a mad hatter would also not know which way to wear his hat, so upside down it went.  My color scheme came from a weird location, as I found my inspiration in the colors of a moldy orange.


Looking back at the piece now, there are a lot of things that I think I could have done better, and I have some even crazier designs that I would love to sketch out.  But this piece was a huge stepping stone in the right direction for me.